“Having a team where the organizational lines are blurred and everyone is accountable is the greatest behavioral concept you can have on a construction project. It exponentially multiples the number of eyes and minds you have looking out for project success. And it saves everyone money”
– Bob Develle – JPL Facilities
- Emphasizing project safety as the #1 goal
- Insuring that all key parties were working towards the same common goal
- Trickle down effect of partnering philosophy to project level and craft staff
- Enabled direct communication by all entities, such as subcontractors working out field issues with consultants
- Enabled project team to resolve issues at the project level
- Eliminated the need for excessive and emotional documentation by all parties due to a high level of trust
- established early-on
- Insured successful project deliver on time and within budget
Like all construction projects, the JPL Flight Projects Center faced various challenges throughout its 24 months of construction. However, what set this project apart from many others was the cohesive partnership approach taken by the entire team.
What began as a mere partnering requirement in the project specifications, quickly turned into a vital tool and constant reminder by all parties, including key subcontractors and end users, that the partnering approach was going to assist in creating a truly World Class project team capable of overcoming any challenges. The project team set seven BHAGs (Big Hair Audacious Goals) and upon project completion achieved all seven.
The partnering process facilitated communication between stakeholders and end users, giving the team the ability to understand their goals and concerns. It also helped build trust and teamwork among the project team through informal gatherings implemented as a part of the process.
The Good to World Class™ partnering process enabled the team to influence key areas on the job and with the team.
California Institute of Technology, NASA
Winner of the 2010 Marvin M. Black Award – Special Recognition